Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Checking in with THE LAMPS



THE LAMPS are a fine vitriolic guitar band from the Los Angeles area and they don't sound half as delicate as the above photograph suggests. Truthfully, they produce the type of reductive, lashing-out type of rock music that we can all agree kicks ass. THE LAMPS have two self-titled full-lengths on In The Red that definitely kick ass and a handful of singles that probably kick ass. In fact, THE LAMPS kick enough ass to warrant an invite to CLOCKCLEAN ER's final gig in Philadelphia. There's a first time to visit the east coast for everyone. Catch 'em at that event or in NY if you didn't meet the standards for the Philly performance. Have a listen for yourself right here.


Here's what frontman MONTY BUCKLES has to say for himself...

TestosterTunes: What the fuck is a Lamp?

Monty Buckles: Got the idea sitting in someone's car in the pacific northwest watching streetlights go by. Like non-specific names that can kind of mean anything.

TT: Do you actually think it's worth your time to visit the East Coast?

MB: That remains to be seen. Here's hoping. I've never been to Philadelphia. Hopefully be able to see the Liberty Bell or something. Honor & a privilege to be asked to play C.C.ER's last show and get to play with a bunch of great bands. Looking forward to playing for people that haven't seen us before & haven't had their minds poisoned by our vast track record of lot's of lackluster local shows.

TT: Here's one for the singer.. why so angry? What's all the yelling about?

MB: Dunno, at first it just seemed like the easiest way to try and sing when you're tone-deaf with a voicebox like an old rock. Just seems better then 'singing' - makes me picture dipshits at a piano belting out show-tunes, or longhairs wailing over 60's inspired drone, or sensitive folky types warbling out of their beard-holes. Lots of local bands, with overly ambitious, anti-intellectual, pretentious vapid copycats make me want to go out to skin them alive and roast them on a spit.

TT: What do the Lamps prefer.. long-boarding or water-skiing?

MB: I went water skiing once when I was a kid an immediately erupted into cowardly, shameful. tears. Went surfing once and spent most of the time getting water forced into every cavity in my dome while getting scraped on the bottom. Beach culture makes me want to start an oil spill, or at least choke someone to death. Tim likes surfing.

TT: L.A. is known for fit bodies and plastic attitudes. What's your secret to success?

MB: All the cliches about LA are true. Everytime I am ready to defend the place I'll meet someone that should be executed on the spot to prevent their pestilent and awful genetic material from further contaminating the already vastly imperfect gene pool. Lots of dumb and shallow people. But there are also great pockets of humanity, little oases of people that are all the more remarkable for where they have taken a foothold. Roses growing in shit.

If I ever get successful, I'll let you know, constantly have a financial sword over my head. If you look up my credit the video from The Ring comes on. Right now I have received a summons for nonpayment of debt, might have my bank account seized, have been having to sell things to make rent, have no idea how I am going to pay for a variety of bills that require attention not to mention my rent. Also, I am single and spent my considerable spare time glowering or feeling sorry for myself instead of getting things done. If my life was visualized, it would be a guy on a treadmill not going anywhere. If I had known how my life would turn out in this no-longer young period of full-fledged adulthood, I would have slit my own throat long ago. If anyone wants to know how to do any of these things, I'll happily share any lessons glomed from a misspent and puerile life.

TT: How do you guys feel about the Sex Pistols?

MB: I like them. Great powerful production, good clever/stupid lyrics, and its hard to fault Steve Jones, silly as he may be. Has aged well, tickles the wanna-drive-fast-and-sing-along gene but good, and Lydon had great tastes. McClaren can dry up and fly away, though.

TT: Any new Lamps music that we should start getting wet for?

MB: Have like 1/3rd of new record written, more or less. We've been practicing WEEKLY (a Lamps record!!!) for a few months now and intend to try and record another full length to vast local indifference.


thanks dude.....

No comments: